You need to sow your peas from March onwards to be eating tender, sweet peas from the pod all summer long.
How To Grow Your Own Peas?
- Dig your site up, add compost/well-rotted manure. Ensure the ground is warm and dry before sowing.
- Sow the seeds in a flat trench, 2 inches deep and 10 inches wide. Water the trench. Next sow seeds 2 inches apart, forming three rows the length of the trench.
- Peas are climbers. Lots of varieties gain heights of up to 80inches. Place supports for young plants prior to them getting top-heavy.
- Frequent picking is key for a really fresh pea. Harvest towards the bottom of the plant upwards.
- Try not to the plant post- harvesting. The roots carry nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Snip the stems at ground level, permitting the roots to rot down.
What You Need to Grow Peas
- Plant supports