Lettuce, endive, rocket and radicchio are extremely easy to grow.
How To Grow Your Own Salad?
- Select a sunny spot with some shade, dig over the soil in preparation, remove any stones, mix in garden compost and rotted manure.
- Rake in order to achieve a polished finish. Sow the salad seeds 12 inches apart in trenches approximately 1.5 cm (0.5 inch) deep.
- Once the seedlings are approximately 2m (1 inch) tall, space them out to grow effectively. The distance apart is dependent on the variety of the salad. Nonetheless, usually salad seedlings are grown 6 inches or 12 inches apart.
- N.B. It is very straightforward to grow lettuces in window boxes and containers. Fill the containers with potting compost and sow seeds as per instructions above.
What You Need to Grow Salad
- Salad seed
- Compost or well-rotted manure
- Pencil and label